FREEFLY ALTA 8 UAS Camcorder for Aerial Drone Cinematography Quadcopter and Case
- Designed for Aerial Cinematography
- Up to 20 lb Payload Capacity
- Works with MoVI Series Gimbals
- Gimbal Top- & Bottom-Mounting Supported
The ALTA 8 from Freefly is an octo-rotor configuration UAS for aerial cinematography. Designed to work in conjunction with a MoVI gimbal (available separately), the ALTA 8 will support payloads up to 20 pounds, making it ideal for today's lightweight cinema cameras. The ALTA 8 allows the gimbal can be mounted above, as well as below, the aircraft, enabling "sky view" shots.
For fast setup and breakdown, the ALTA 8 employs Freefly's Toad in the Hole (TITH) quick release gimbal attachment mechanism. For extra portability, the prop arms retract and props fold in half for a smaller footprint that is easier to transport.
- 18-inch props, optimized propulsion system, and a lightweight carbon fiber frame together allow flight times comparable to quadcopters while being able to carry the weight of a cinema camera and gimbal.
- The ALTA 8 supports flights of over 15 minutes when using two 16 Ah batteries with a payload of 15 lb.
SYNAPSE Intelligent Flight Control System
- By fusing GPS data with the IMU and Barometer, the ALTA 8 is able to hold position even in difficult weather conditions. For industrial users, this gives the ability to execute complex flight paths while keeping pilot fatigue low.
- The SYNAPSE features velocity control with an adjustable real time speed limit. This means pilots can alter the vertical and ground velocities to ensure precise, repeatable camera moves.
- The SYNAPSE flight controller takes readings from accelerometers, barometer, and GPS and fuses them together to create high-bandwidth height-control flight mode. This feature is designed to give filmmakers a "dolly in the sky."
Return to Home
- Alta 8's return-home function features a "safe height" parameter. With this set, on return home the aircraft will fly at a fixed elevation to avoid collision with obstacles below the pre-defined limit.
Automatic Data Logging
- The ALTA 8 allows you to monitor and analyze performance and health using Freefly's proprietary high-speed data logging via microSD card. Data can be inspected using Freefly's data viewer application.
- Flight Pack Voltage
- Satellite Count
- Flight Mode
- Pilot Checklists
- Vibration Levels
Works with MoVI Gimbals
Top Mount Camera Option
- In addition to traditional bottom ("Ground View") mounting, the ALTA 8 supports mounting the gimbal on top of the aircraft ("Sky View"). This enables capturing distinct camera angles from beneath an elevated subject.
Quick Release Gimbal Attachment
- The Alta 8 supports Freefly's Toad in the Hole (TITH) mounting system, the same mount found on MoVI gimbal. This reduces setup and breakdown time, and makes switching between "Ground View" and "Sky View" modes easy.
Note: MoVI gimbal available separately.
Air System Design
- The frame and propellers fold for a footprint that is 50% of the Alta 8's size in operational configuration. This makes it easy to pack up and carry along, even to remote locations.
Vibration Isolation System
- A vibration-isolation system rejects high-frequency disturbances, adding further image stability on top of what the gimbal provides.
- The ALTA 8 features a lightweight molded plastic enclosure to cover the flight control and power distribution board to protect them from the elements.
Receiver Mounting Bay
- The ALTA 8 provides two fully enclosed receiver mounting bays to keep these sensitive components protected and dry.
- The ALTA 8 utilizes sinusoidal drive motor controls, and the motors are custom tuned to match the F45 flight controller, with optimizations for speed, reliability, and robustness. The motor drives are constantly monitoring a variety of parameters and reporting status to the SYNAPSE.
Required for Completion
- The ALTA 8 comes as an ARF (almost ready-to-fly) bundle. It features a hard transit case, Quick-release top handle, and inverted landing gear for top-mounting the gimbal. In addition to these included items, typical use cases may require the following:
- MoVI gimbal
- Transmitter (radio controller) and compatible receiver
- At least two flight batteries
- Aero Landing Gear (lower landing gear for flying a MoVI in the bottom mount configuration)
- An FPV system
In the Box
- FREEFLY ALTA 8 UAS for Aerial Cinematography
- Case Lid Foam
- 18 x Isolator Cartridges
- Electronic Luggage Scale
- Inverted Landing Gear for Top Mounting Drone
- USB to Futaba Power Cable
- 4 x Antenna Tubes
- 4 x FPV Cables
- Quick Release Battery Tray
- FPV Mount Plate
- Installation Hardware
- Limited 1-Year Warranty
We Also Recommend
Freefly Wave (2TB) High Speed Camera with 2TB SSD Card #950-00105